I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. ~3John 1:4

With three of our children now serving in three different countries around the world, we thought this would be the best and easiest way for our friends and family to follow them on their journeys and watch as they learn, grow, and share their experiences. Lance is a combat medic in the US Army and is deployed to Afghanistan with the 101st Airborne Air Assault, Nicki is serving an 18-month mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in New Mexico, and Hunter is serving a two year mission in Honduras. We are so blessed!


Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Mother's Day! One of my favorite days of the year!

I couldn't miss them more!

Yes, definitely one of my favorite days of the year!  I couldn't possibly miss these nuggets more than I already do...and if it IS possible...then I definitely don't want to find out!  We were able to Skype with all three of them!  A treat, a blessing, and always entertaining!!!  :)

Lance Skyped earlier in the morning.  He was tired (after all, it was pretty late there) but he looked awesome!  (He'll no doubt insert something here like.....but of course!)  We were interrupted a couple times by a bad internet connection and some annoying whoever they were that were rudely shooting something or other towards the base and making the guys take cover.  We really couldn't tell anything out of the ordinary was going on, besides that fact that he'd have to  leave for a few and then call us back.  He was in "business" mode but Mom likes to think that's just because he was tired and not because anything exciting was going on!  He's doing really well and said to tell everyone hello.  He did text early/late the next morning and said he was off on a "mission" and would message us when he got back.  Not my first choice in a mother's day present..haha...but definitely looking forward to that message!  (Did that sound calm enough and like I'm holding together???)  ;)

Nicki Skyped around 3:00, which was perfect because Hunter had called the night before and said he would be Skyping in at the same time!!!  Family conference call!  It didn't work out quite that way, but that would've been legendary!  Nicki is cute as ever...still smiling and happy.  She received news that she was going to be transferred this week.  She was a little sad but at the same time she was expecting it.  I think Mom took the news harder than she did.  She loves the people in Taylor's Ranch and they definitely will always have a piece of her heart.  She did, for the very first time since she's been gone, mention coming home and even knows what time her flight is on Dec. 10th!  Could this be a sign that she really DOES miss us?!!  haha  We talked about pretty much everything under the sun from her area, the people, the food, music, hair...you name it and we pretty much touched on it.  I can't believe how she's grown in so many ways!  Still trying to decide if getting to talk to her and see her made me feel better or worse!  ;)  Definitely made me miss her more.  I LOVE having a daughter!

Hunter is doing awesome!  He looks a little on the thin side, but he promises he's eating.  He said most of the foods there that are safe to eat are fried and his stomach isn't so much used to that.  He said Honduras is beautiful, but he never imagined he could be so hot!  There are hours in the day where they're limited to what they can do because of the heat.  He said the San Antonio area he's in is pretty dangerous and he's not allowed to go anywhere without a Latino with him.  There's lots of drug gangs there.  If that wasn't enough to make Mom a little nervous he said, "I need to find some bleach before Sis. Dester comes over so I can clean the big blood stain out of the shower!" I said, "What?!!!  What blood stain and how did it get there?"  He said, "I don't know and I'm afraid to ask, but it was here when we moved in and I don't want Sis. Dester to have to see it."  Ewww!  He said a lot of the people in the area do NOT like Americans and aren't afraid to show it.  His two requests?  An American flag (#1) and notes and letters from family, friends and ward members back home.  He said that would make all the difference in the world.  Other than a couple letters that have made it there from Mom, he hasn't received any letters in the mail.  He said words of encouragement are GREATLY appreciated!

Of course, I didn't want to say goodbye to any of them...and it's going to be a LONG seven months (yes...SEVEN months!) until I can talk to them again.  And Mom may or may not have cried for a bit when we had to disconnect....but it didn't last long when I remembered why they all are where they are and all the things that brought them to this point in their lives, and how much they're learning and growing. Though I couldn't possibly miss them more, I am incredibly proud to be their mom and am so blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment