I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. ~3John 1:4

With three of our children now serving in three different countries around the world, we thought this would be the best and easiest way for our friends and family to follow them on their journeys and watch as they learn, grow, and share their experiences. Lance is a combat medic in the US Army and is deployed to Afghanistan with the 101st Airborne Air Assault, Nicki is serving an 18-month mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in New Mexico, and Hunter is serving a two year mission in Honduras. We are so blessed!


Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Greetings from...EL PASO!!!


So I'm now in El Paso. I'm actually really loving it! The people here are a lot nicer. And I have some good companions. Oh yeah, I'm in a trio now. So there are 3 of us. Sis. Walker, and Sis. Smith (not the one that came out with me.) We have a lot of fun together. Sis. Smith is like our little sister haha. Sis. Walker actually came out with me, she was my stl 2 transfers ago. It's been really fun. We really work well together. This whole trio thing is definitely something to get used to. Teaching is a little different with 3 people. But so far so good. We're working out the kinks.
 
As for me and Megan's pictures. Life is too serious to be serious :) I'm pretty sure there are serious ones from my farewell, which I don't think you have... haha I'll have to send her some.
 
So back to El Paso. The ward I'm in actually borders Ft. Bliss. Or my area does. I'm not sure if the base has it's own ward or how that works. But everyone around here is either military or border control. (I saw Mexico!!! With my eyes!) I actually really love it here. The heat isn't even that bad. Well I just tell myself it's not that bad because I know it'll get worse. Besides I'm getting some really nice sun! I've gotten like 5 shades darker!
 
This weekend we got to do a fun service project. Make a wall out of cement and rocks. We all think they're really ugly, but they take so much effort to make! So now I have respect for them. Anywho, I got to mix cement for a few hours, it was fun!! I love service projects like that. I don't have a camera with me but I'll send pictures last week.
 
I definitely have to brush up on my Spanish here. A lot of people will pretend they don't know how to speak English. It's kinda funny, well we laugh about it. Then we try to make a contact with extremely limited Spanish.
 
One of the biggest miracles this week was that we went by to try a potential investigator and she let us right in. It was our first lesson all together, and it went pretty well. She was very receptive and became a new investigator. Our first lesson our first new investigator all in one. Then a member at church came up to us and told us that he works with her husband (who we didn't meet with) and he's been reading the Book of Mormon! So we're really excited to go back and see her again!
 
Another miracle. We were out contacting (we've done a lot of contacting this week) And we decided to knock doors with a certain attribute. (like a design in the rocks, a wreath, a certain car in the driveway) Since we aren't really encouraged to go tracting. So we knocked on this one door with an attribute and this girl answered, she had a lot of tattoos, we went through our approach and she seemed not interested at all. We gave her a card, then made a little small talk, the small talk turned into good talk. She opened up to us and told us about a traumatic experience in the Army. By the end we were able to give her a Book of Mormon and when we handed it to her she said "are you sure?" Like she didn't want to take our book cause it was so special. It was one of the coolest contacting experiences I've done. I learned not to pre judge anyone but just pretend that everyone, no matter what, is going to be interested.
 
We've definitely had a lot of fun in the sun this week. I'm glad to be here in El Paso. I'm excited for all of the adventures in store! I love you all!!
Love,
Sister Ririe
P.S.  No Nerm, no big Texas hat yet, but I'll get one JUST for you!  And we have a baptism scheduled for the 31st!!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment