I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. ~3John 1:4

With three of our children now serving in three different countries around the world, we thought this would be the best and easiest way for our friends and family to follow them on their journeys and watch as they learn, grow, and share their experiences. Lance is a combat medic in the US Army and is deployed to Afghanistan with the 101st Airborne Air Assault, Nicki is serving an 18-month mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in New Mexico, and Hunter is serving a two year mission in Honduras. We are so blessed!


Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Service, Surprises, and Goodbyes

April fools?!!  I cut my hair!!!!


I have to preface Nicki's post this week with a little story. Saturday was the General Women's Conference and since I didn't feel like going to watch it at the Stake Center (everyone I knew would be there with a daughter, and there's nothing like feeling alone in a room of hundreds) I decided to stay home and stream it live.  Den and Tanner were watching basketball downstairs, so I just decided to go in Nicki's room where there was already a laptop set up and ready to go AND plenty of space to fold laundry (might as well multitask...right?).  There came a point in the conference where I was just overwhelmed....I just couldn't make out the feeling . I thought I was just feeling lonesome for Nicki...afterall I was sitting in her room surrounded by all of her things and watching hundreds upon hundreds of mothers and daughters.  Then all of a sudden I was just filled with this great love for a daughter and gratitude to my Heavenly Father for allowing me to be her mother and feeling privileged to do so.  Not ten minutes after the conference ended I get a phone call from a Bro. Johnson who just wanted to let me know he had dinner earlier in the week with my sweet daughter while he was in Albuquerque visiting his son.  He wanted to let me know what an amazing missionary she is and what a sweet spirit she has about her.  He thanked me for raising such a wonderful strong young woman, for teaching her the gospel, and for sharing her with the members in New Mexico.  He assured me she was extremely happy, doing well, and was meant to be there.  Not ten minutes after THAT, I receive an email from a sweet sister in her stake with a picture of Nicki and her companion, Sister Andrasko!  Tender mercies from a loving Heavenly Father, that knew what I needed before I even realized it. 

Now...fast forward to Monday and Sis. Ririe's email!  Read to the end..you won't want to miss it!

Hi family!

Transfers are here....Sis. Andrasko is leaving...I'm staying.  We've had a great companionship for the past 3 months (which is extremely hard to believe we've been together that long!  Time just flew by!)  Everyone in our zone is actually jealous of how great we get along.  But I know whatever happens is for the better and just means we have more to learn and even more to grow.

So this week there were miracles just flying about!  Actually, it was more of the weekend that was pretty awesome.  We got two more investigators to teach.  one of them is someone I love sooooo much.  She's one of my favorite people in the world!  She's been meeting with the missionaries for years, but she's never wanted to take the discussions.  Well, on Friday we asked her what she thought about taking the first lesson and SHE AGREED!!!  I'm so excited!!!  I think she's prepared, she's just really worried about making the wrong decision.  She's seriously one of my favorite people ever!

Then, we got to do a service project on Saturday morning and help clean up a park.  We got to wear one of those way cool yellow helping hands t-shirts!  It's like a once in a lifetime opportunity to get those.  It looked like we could have been in the church news.

After that we got to do service for someone by helping her clean her house.  Then we taught her a lesson after and she's so open to it.  This week we have 2 appointments with her...one to read with her and teach hear and the other to help her clean.  Service is an awesome way to get to know someone!

Then we went to the women's broadcast and that was awesome!!!  I loved it a lot.  I took like 3 pages of notes.  I'm so glad we got to go. We could only go if we went with an investigator or a less active member. Prayer....answered!  During the conference (I know you saw it) during the video that didn't have any words I started just feeling overwhelmed.  I thought I was just feeling "trunky" (homesick). I'm not sure what it was...but it was very strong.  Then I had all these sisters come up to me afterwards and offer to email you and call you.  Funny!

We had pretty much the same feelings at the exact same time! I didn't mention it to Nicki until after I got her email.  Again...tender mercies from a loving Heavenly Father!

I'm excited to see what the changes of transfers bring to this area and how I can continue to learn and grow. It's exciting times here in Taylor Ranch!

Love,
Sis. Ririe

Some"bunny" special!  How I'll miss her!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment